Guidance regarding vaccinations and masking:
Following CDC guidelines, newly published guidelines from the American Pediatric Association, and advice from local physicians, the school will require masks for all unvaccinated individuals while indoors. This includes any adult who is not vaccinated and all students under the age of 12 (90% of our student population).
Based on the newest CDC guidelines, vaccinated individuals will also be required to wear a mask while indoors.
Guidance regarding the school being made aware of a positive COVID-19 test result for a staff member or student:
- We will follow the latest guidelines from the CDC and local health departments.
- Parents in the affected class will be notified of the need to quarantine.
- The school will also share the last date of exposure so we can calculate quarantine days and parameters for return.
- Parents will have the option to have their child tested during the quarantine period.
- Students can return to the classroom 7 days from the date of last exposure IF they have a negative COVID test AND they are symptom free. The negative test result must be dated 5 days after the date of last exposure.
- Students can return to the classroom 10 days from the date of last exposure without needing a negative COVID test IF they are symptom free.
- The individual who originally tested positive can return to the classroom after 10 days WITH a negative COVID test AND they are completely symptom free.
Efforts the school will use to mitigate the effects of COVID-19:
As we continue to focus on the health and safety of our entire school community, please be aware of COVID protocols kept in place for the 2021 -2022 school year:
- Indoor mask usage.
- Physical distancing when possible.
- Frequent handwashing.
- Regular cleaning of classrooms and common areas.
- Use touchless faucets, automatic paper towels and automatic soap dispensers in all restrooms.
- Use of automatic and pump hand sanitizer stations in all buildings.
- Air purifiers are in place in all classrooms, including the gym, lunchroom, and library.
- All HVAC systems school-wide are being serviced to ensure proper ventilation.
Discontinued mitigation measures:
- Daily health screenings will not be used.
- You are the best screening protocol. Please do not send your child to school if they are sick or showing signs of illness.
- Virtual learning options: Due to limited resources, the school will not be able to offer full-time, part-year, or hybrid virtual options for students. We will, however, be able to support virtual learning in the event a student group needs to be quarantined.
The school is ready to respond to the ever-changing landscape moving forward. As new guidelines are published, we will update our school community with any changes to our procedures.
Thank you for your support of our school and for trusting us with the education of your child. We are all looking forward to another great school year!
To better keep our students and staff healthy and safe, the school has partnered with UAB to offer free and voluntary asymptomatic COVID-19 testing. This program is fully funded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Federal Funds.
- Testing is available to all current students and staff at Joseph S. Bruno Montessori Academy.
- Testing will be weekly on Tuesdays starting at 9:00 AM.
- Our first tests will be offered on Tuesday, November 2, 2021.
- Teachers will escort students to the testing room (located in the Lower Elementary building across from the front office).
- Samples will be collected and processed by Luxor Scientific.
- Testing will be performed in less than a minute with a front of the nose swab.
- A PCR test will be used to generate a result. This is not a rapid test.
- Both the school and parents will receive notification of test results within 24 hours.
- In the event of a positive result, the school will follow the advice of local health experts.
- Paper consent forms are being sent home today with your child(ren).
**This testing program is for individuals who are asymptomatic. If you are experiencing any illness related symptoms, please do not come to school and seek medical advice.**
How do I sign up?
- Participation in the program is completely voluntary and requires parent consent.
- You can join or opt out at any point.
- You can either use a paper form or the links below to sign up and give consent.
- You will only need to submit one consent form to sign up for weekly testing. Once submitted, you will not need to submit additional forms each week.
- If the required consent forms are not submitted on time, your child(ren) will not be eligible to participate in testing for that day. They will have to wait until the next testing date to participate.
All consent forms, electronic or paper, must be received by the school no later than
4:00 PM on the Monday prior to testing. No exceptions will be made.
For an overview of the program and to see the testing process, please watch one of the videos below:
To sign up for testing, you will need to complete a consent form. Complete and return the paper form or use the links below:
Grade Level and Registration URL
- 1st Grade
- 2nd Grade
- 3rd Grade
- 4th Grade
- 5th Grade
- 6th Grade
- 7th Grade
- 8th Grade
Thank you for your continued support of our school!